MISSING BUILDINGS (#50-62)

1860


Block 16 (George & Barbara Eastman Map - January 1965)

Missing Buildings

Forgotten Buildings is what Mrs. George W. Eastman called her compilation as she described (in 1954) what was here: Broadway West:


© Columbia State Historic Park.
Block 16 broken down to lot numbers. - c1860 (G & B Eastman 1958)



1860 - Last Columbia Gazette Office (#50) (Also known as the New York Hotel). (G & B Eastman 1958)

1854 - Original Columbia Brewery location (#51) (G & B Eastman 1958)

1859 - C & D Kelley Store (#52). (Brick Building) (G & B Eastman 1958)

1859 - Tuolumne Bakery (#53) and Bird's Saddlery. (G & B Eastman 1958)

1864 - Gowan & Wardell Carpenter Shop (#54) and Citizen's Hall. (G & B Eastman 1958)

1859 - Soderer & Marshall Building (#55) Building. Started in 1851 and closed Fall of 1854. (G & B Eastman 1958) Still Standing.

1864 - McChesney Building - Brick (#56) (G B Eastman 1958) Still Standing.

1856 - Hildenbrand's U. S. Bakery - two story brick (#57) (G B Eastman 1958) Still Standing.

1860 - Meyers & Wolf Building - Brick (#58) (G B Eastman 1958) Still Standing.

1860 - Mrs. Levy's Building - Tucker's Saloon (#59) (G B Eastman 1958)

1856 Spring - Charles Joseph's Shoe Store - brick (#60) (G B Eastman 1958)

1855 Fall - Christen's Paint Store - brick (#61) (G B Eastman 1958)

1850 - Columbia Exchange Hotel (#62) AKA Saloon, Threare, Restaurant & Garden. Built by C. Hoerchner (G & B Eastman 1958) Thomas Nugent Cazneau owned and operated the Columbia Exchange. In this theatre performances ranged from both ordinary entertainment to high class events which may have included opera. "Discriptions of the Columbia Exchange strongly suggest that it was...a frame building." (Barbara Eastman - 1971)




From a copy of the map of Columbia 1860 that was compiled by George W. & Barbara Eastman Map - Dec. 1958




This page is created for the benefit of the public by
Floyd D.P. Oydegaard

Email contact:

fdpoyde3 (at) Yahoo (dot) com
A WORK IN PROGRESS,
created for the visitors to the Columbia State Historic park.
© Columbia State Historic Park & Floyd D. P. Øydegaard.