(AKA; LEVY STORE, EMPIRE SALOON, DIVIDEND SALOON, THREE BROTHER'S STORE, CHEAP CASH STORE.)
© Columbia State Historic Park.
(Touch image to see the whole block. Image c1934.)
AND What is that metal contraption?
Franklin & Wolfe: Oldest Building in Columbia.
The following is a study of The Building known as the Franklin-Wolfe:
oldest brick structure of Columbia.
The Franklin-Wolfe Building.
Franklin-Wolfe Variety Store 1852-1860
1851 July 13 - Fernando Yrizar claimed possession of land running 75 feet on the street and 100 feet deep. He builds a wood structure.
1852 Fernando Yrizar sells the property with small house to Alexander Franklin, Anspach Wolfe and Elias Compert for $1100. The Franklin-Wolfe Variety Store begins.
1852 Census - Shows Alexander Franklin(1823-), Anspach Wolfe(1825-) and Elias Compert(1824-) born in Germany. Shows they arrived in New York (last residence).
1854 Benj. M. Brainard agrees to let Franklin and Wolfe build a common brick wall on 4 inches of his property to construct a 1 story brick building.
1854 June 3 - "Mr. Franklin had began construction of a fire-proof building on Main Street." - (Columbia Gazette)
1854 June 5 - Agreement between Benj. M. Brainard and Franklin & Wolfe; Brainard hereby agrees to permit Franklin & Wolfe to build the wall of the building they are about to erect on Main Street, 4" upon his ground. He also agrees to give them a deed to the ground back of their lot, running 19' back and 11' wide, and also will pay them $125 when the wall is completed with the understanding that he is to be half owner of said wall, and to have the privilage of putting his timbers thereon, and to have equal rights thereto with Franklin & Wolfe, he being about to erect a brick building on the south next to theirs. - (Eastman - Volumne 7 - 727 Columbia Deeds & Claims)
1854 July 10 - Fire causes $200 damage to new cosntruction.
1854 August 12 - Brick building was finished. They move their Variety Store into the building. (The Variety Store will run until Dec. 1859.)
© Bancroft Library.
Main Street 1855
1857 August 25 - fire causes $1000 in damage to Franklin & Wolfe.
1858 May 25 - Elias Compert sells his interest to Franklin & Wolfe.
1860 January - Franklin and Wolfe move their business to the Leavitt and Walker building.
1860 July 13 - listed on the census report: Anspach Wolfe age 36 owning a Variety Store had a worth of $2000 (Page 66-Line 23) A. Franklin age 37 owning a Variety Store (P66-L24). They were sharing the business (dwelling[?] 2636) and living with the business partners is wife (Sarah age 24) to Alexander Franklin who is listed with two children: Henry age 6 and Robert age 5.
1860 December 1 - They sell their first brick building to Jos. Rodgers, who leases it to Henry Hemmer for his boot and shoe store. Later leased by Mrs. McGinnis for her boarding house. Within a few weeks Alexander Franklin moves to San Francisco.
1861 Anspach Wolfe is closed down by Sheriff.
1866 Joseph Rodgers sold to David Levy, who runs a clothing and dry goods store.
1870 Levy sells to his father, Joel, who has a fancy and staple dry goods store.
1871 August - Joey Levy has a fancy and staple dry goods store. He also has Block 10, Lot 171 (This property extends to Fulton at the eastern side.) - Deputy County Surveyor map by John P. Dart
1876-1878 O. F. Strubridge's Empire Saloon.
1878 Joel Levy sells to Sewell Knapp.
1878 Knapp sells to Louis Levy who is postmaster and has a general furnishings goods store.
1880 David Levy opens the Dividend Saloon in his brother's building with a billiard room, "most elegant saloon in county".
1880 May through Oct. - David Levy advertises the Dividend Saloon with these words: "This is the most elegantly fitted up saloon in Tuolumne county. Here you can always obtain the best brands of Liquors and Cigars. Fine Wines and Liquors a Specialty. Do not fail to call on us when in town, and we will treat you like a Prince of Good Fellows. Robert Monroe, Manager."
October ad 1880
1882 Levy sells the Dividend Saloon to M. E. Hughes.
1887 The Dividend Saloon, sells to Charles Koch.
1900 Koch leaves the building to his nephews, Chas. W. C. Mayer & Richard Luckow.
1920 The building.
1934 The building.
1947 State Park purchased the building from Richard Luckow, et al.
1940s or 50s Mr. Miner has feed store in the building.
© from Otheto Weston collection.
1968 17 May - J. Conrotto has a contract for 5 years on the Antique Studio. (Park & Concessionaire report 1969-70)
1972 Roger and Betty Holmberg open Cheap for Cash Store; an Antique shop.
1973 17 May - Roger Holmberg has a 5 year contract for an Antique Studio. (Park & Concessionaire report 1974-75)
1977 15 October - Roger & Bettie Holmberg have a 5 year contract for the Cheap for Cash Antique Studio. (Park & Concessionaire report 1979-80)
Drawing of Cheap Cash store by Ron Stout - 1981
1999 Betty Holmberg retires, closing the Cheap Cash Store.
2002-2004 State Park uses it for the info center while the Knapp Block is repaired.
2005 State Park makes the building a static store display.
2006 March 1st - the Columbia Booksellers & Stationers has moved from the Columbia Gazette to this new location.
NOTE: Anyone with information changes or copies of materials
that relate to the Cheap Cash Store; Franklin & Wolfe Building
or the town of Columbia that might shed more light on my on going research is welcome to write to me
via email or the Postal Service and send copies of said info to the store address.
Image of the store by Will Dunniway & Company - 2007
Columbia Booksellers & Stationers
22725 Main Street
Columbia California 95310-9401
A WORK IN PROGRESS,
created for the visitors to the Columbia State Historic park.
© Columbia State Historic Park & Floyd D. P. Øydegaard.