SOUTH CHURCH PREACHERS.

Presbyterians

1854-present



© Bancroft Library.
South Presbyterian c1855


Rev. John Henry Brodt established the first Presbyterian church on Dec. 19 1854 and left Summer of 1855 .



© Bancroft Library.
South Church 1854

Laurentine Hamilton September 1855 to April(?)1859

James Woods August 1863 to Nov. 1863

William Wisner Martin November 22, 1863 to January 6, 1865. He convinced the faithful to construct a new church during the early 1860s to accomodate the slowly growing congragation.

© Columbia State Historic Park.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (south church)1866.
William Wisner Martin October 7, 1864 "The finest church to be seen anywhere in the southern mines," was occuopied.

Henry Palmer Jan.(?)1865 to Fall 1866

E.P. Willard 1867 to 1873

Samuel B. King September 28, 1873 to May 1874

John Mack May 17, 1874 to 1877

John Carrington Fall 1877 to Fall 1878

James Woods November 11, 1881 to November(?) 1882 (2nd term)

A.J. Sturdevant 1882 to 1883 (Two months)

A.H. Croco Spring 1863 to October 1899

Edward Ernest Annard November 1899 to October 1901

A.H. Croco July 1902 to October 6, 1904 (2nd term)

James M. Smith November 13, 1904 to April 1910

Rev. Hugh J. Furneaux March 1914 to February 8, 1926 (Died) AKA The Shepherd of the Hills. He traveled up and down the mountains on his mission to bring the miner's back to church and God. He used two donkeys called "Pipe Organ and "Bagpipes."

Edgar F. Knickerbocker November 1926 to February 1927 with,

Jesse Marhoff November 14, 1926 to April 1927

Hugh B. Sutherland May 1927 to January 1928 (student)

Oscar Gillan Summers of 1929 & 1930 (student)

Stanley George Summer 1931 (student)

Fred Barnhill Summer 1932 (student)

John Woolett Summer 1933 (student)

Dean Babbett Winter 1933 & 1934 (student)

Paul O. Steps Summer 1934 (student)

Darrell Christensen ? (student)

Frank Mouer Summer 1935 (student)

Roscoe S. Nickerson December 1935 to December 1938

Sidney E. Harris May 1939 - November 1940

Stanley J. Roberts November 1940 - 1942

Edward S. Bickford 1942 - 1948


© 49ner Church.
St. Andrew's May 10, 1950 by Col. Van Court Warren.

Joseph N. Hillhouse 1948 - February 1958

George W. Crichton September 1, 1958 - 1968

Halstad Gates September 1968 - April 1975

Robert Burns 1975 - 1976

James McCluskey April 1, 1976 - Fall 1994

Bob Ryland 1995 (interim)

Russ Chandler 1995 - 1996 (interim)

Bill David Spring of 1996 - 2008


© Floyd D.P. Żydegaard.
49ner Church - March 2006.

Janet Russell July 2009 - present



TODAY
The Church of The Forty-Niners is a working Presbyterian
and sits where the South Presbyterian Church use to be.
(at 11155 Jackson & Gold Streets (209) 532-2441)



This page is created for the benefit of the public by
Columbia Booksellers & Stationers
22725 Main Street
Columbia California 95310-9401

Email contact:

A WORK IN PROGRESS,
created for the visitors to the Columbia State Historic park.
© Columbia State Historic Park & Floyd D. P. Øydegaard.