Washington Street (find mule cart) from the south - 1852
1850 Originally it is 4 or 5 lots and has several small stores on it, including the Boston Bakery.
1857 The lot is purchased by Charles Cardinell. (Architect, Musician, and Dancing Master who built a succession of such Halls in the Mother Lode.)
1857 July 30 - Cardinell buys the three remaining lots of the Boston Bakery on the north side of Washington.
1857 September 21 - Cardinell buys a lot two doors east.
1857 October 19 - Cardinell buys the last lot between the above two.
Terpsicorean Hall c1861
1858 February - Cardinell builds the hall and assembly building, 103 ft x 50 ft, 2 stories high. It has stores and a saloon on the first floor and a theater on the second floor. The theater has removable seats.
1858 February 15 - The first performance in Cardinell's Theatre was given. While the same room served as a theater and dance hall, for the latter purposes it was usually called Terpsichorean Hall. This was also on the second floor over two stores.
1861 May - Cardinell had sold his building to the Terpsichorean* Society which he had organized.
1861 July 27 - the Terpsichorean Hall burned to the ground.
1861 The lot sells to the Columbia Terpsichorean Society who rebuild. Cardinell has a dancing school in the building.
Announcements in the local papers.
1861 August 15 - the center portion, being 44 feet on Washington Street, 80 feet on the east side, the west 35 feet, south 17 feet, west 9 feet and south 63 feet to the beginning. Cardinell kept a 20 foot lot at the east end next to the Masonic Hall and a 30 foot lot at the east end of his lots.
Terpsichorean Hall , white bulding to the left - 1863
1865 July - The lot next to the Mason's was sold to Columbia Terpsichorean Society and building raised.
Terpsicorean Hall behind Columbia Gulch Wheel c1866
1866 June 16 - The remaining lot was sold to Wm. Shuice(?) and probably soon mined.
1868 December - The theater was still in use.
1870 fall, or 1871spring - The Bacon store at the corner of Main and Washington was removed.
1871 August 23 - The building had been removed from the theater lot and the property mined around the time Beauvais realigned Washington Street in his surveying.
1949 The state purchases the lot from William and Ruth Grant.
Lot in front of the Gazette.
In Greek Mythology, the Muse of Dancing was known as the terpsichoros. (Terpsichore = delighting in the dance.)
The Terpsichorean Hall was a fancy name for a place to dance.
However it was considered humorous to call someone a terpsichorean; a dancer.
Terpsichorean means, having to do with dancing.
This page is created for the benefit of the public by
Floyd D. P. Øydegaard.
fdpoyde3 (at) Yahoo (dot) com
A WORK IN PROGRESS,
created for the visitors to the Columbia State Historic park.
© Columbia State Historic Park & Floyd D. P. Øydegaard.